This drill comes courtesy of Andy Mcgrath at Modern Tennis International. It is very simple, but its simplicity makes it work. Drill as follows:
- 1 player is feeder / scorer (this can be another player or the coach), other player is the ‘hitter’.
- The hitter scores a point for every ball in past the service line and has a point taken away for every ball out or not past the service line.
- The hitter is aiming to get to 21.
- For better players, make a smaller target area or higher target number.
- For less able players, lower target number & easier target area.
- Feeder / scorer can be feeding by hand or rally.
- In a group lesson it can be a ‘race’ to see who can reach the target number first.